domingo, 10 de julio de 2011

I have arrived!

            So I had a lovely flight from breathtaking Newark, New Jersey to industrial Liberia, Costa Rica during which I made friends with some lovely Swedish men. They distracted me from my usual plane claustrophobia as we discussed among other things gluttonous Americans. They had flown into Newark yesterday, spent the night in New York, stayed in Manhattan until the morning going to some Irish pubs and not changing their clothes and didn’t have a hotel so arrived in time for their flight from Newark at 9:08 exhausted and excited. Surprisingly, they were quite friendly and not at all smelly. It was their first time ever in the United States!
            We exited the plane at Liberia into sweltering heat and humidity with me dragging along my hiking backpacked swollen with an unnecessary quantity of last-minute “necessities” and an extremely heavy Jansport backpack which were merely my carry-ons. Oh, I’m definitely known for my light packing skills. Inside the tiny airport which had one baggage claim and two ceiling fans the size of my house I of course soon realized that Continental had left my checked bag at Newark along with Tara’s two bags. We’ll hopefully get them tomorrow morning? At least that’s what the woman said. I had a lot of my stuff in my hiking backpack so I’m fine for now.
            I of course look and act like such a spacey American (which I definitely am…) that I got overcharged for the taxi and every time I try to speak Spanish to the adorable hotel desk man he answers me in English. But my hotel is beautiful and has a pool with a slightly treacherous water slide that deposits you into a mere four feet of water (no one told me to tuck my knees…).
All of the students in my program are so friendly and wonderful and make me feel unbelievably comfortable. So many of my nerves are just melting away, and I of course have told my life’s story to most of them. Shockingly, they seem to actually think I’m funny…I mean, at least I’m friendly and not exactly intimidating even if I never shut up. I’ve also felt comfortable telling some of them about my mom’s dumpster diving excursions and my obsession with all things “hippie” for lack of a better word. I am so far still vegan, and I’m going to do my best to be “as vegan as possible” or whatever that means. Oh, but I assumed all food was cheap. And guess what. It’s not. I got my first ever legal strawberry daiquiri, a heart of palm salad, and beans and chips and spent 20 bucks! And I thought the portions would be small and that I was really hungry, but I didn’t come close to finishing all of it. Maybe I won’t be eating like the “truck driver” my mom knows and loves this trip…but we’ll see. I meet my Liberia host family tomorrow and start orientation-what? It’s not all just swimming and lying by the pool? Oh, and there are people here who share my music tastes; it’s great! I have some goals which include:
1. finding a yoga place
2. functioning at speaking Spanish
3. not failing my classes
4. making some amazing Costa Rican friends whom I will speak Spanish to and they will answer me in English
5. learning Costa Rican dance (aka gaining some coordination I realized I did not have while attempting “dance yourself thin” the other night)
6. have at least 10 Costa Rican men fall madly in love with me and follow me around, presenting me with small gifts and telling me how beautiful I am.
7. cook delicious vegan Costa Rican food for my host family
8. think of more goals
I’m going to miss all of you at home, but I am so ready for this! I think…

2 comentarios:

  1. Little I can already tell I'm going to be an avid (sp? don't judge) follower of this blog. I love it. And everyone answered me in english too when I went to Chile. I was like come on people I'm trying! But at least he could understand what you mean in Spanish to give you the correct answer in English! I love and miss you and you're going to accomplish all of your goals: including this new one I made up for you-- send a postcard to and skype with your big!

    ResponderEliminar