martes, 12 de julio de 2011

Liberia Orientation with my first wonderful host family!!

I write to you from a beautiful casa in Liberia, Costa Rica where I am staying with my first host family for a mere five days while taking intensive Spanish classes and slowly but surely understanding how to function here. My luggage is STILL NOT HERE so therefore neither is their gift of maple syrup and a candle...The family consists of a mother, Iris, and her two wonderful 14 year old twins, Adrian and Adrianna. They are so friendly and so patient with my Spanish, so polite and so eager to learn about my life in New Jersey and how ¡it differs from their lives here. Every one is so relaxed, or, as I´m learning to say, ¡Pura Vida! They feed me A LOT of really good food, and I am easily staying almost completely vegan! Since (for some unknown reason) I managed to finagle my way into the higher level spanish class by getting what I believe to be the lowest grade that will allow me to be in it on my placement quiz, I don´t have class until 1:30 today! Ah! Apparently my luggage has arrived so I´m going to finish this fast so my host madre can take me to get it! So this morning I borrowed some sneakers and Iris drove me to a park so I could run laps in it for a half hour. It felt sooo good since I hadn´t gotten to work out since I arrived and you guys know me...But back to Adrian and Adriana, they, along with their 10 year old cousin, showed me around the neighborhood. I met some of their family-most of whom lives on their block! I told them how different it was for me...Sometimes it´s hard for me to understand them, and I am constantly thinking and trying to figure out how to say things, but I´m getting better. Hopefully I won´t have to pass out at 8 pm every night like I did last night out of mental exhaustion. I am astounded at how well these kids treat each other and their parents; it is so different from most of what I see at home. There is no yelling, no disrespect, and they have fun walking around the neighborhood, playing UNO with me, and watching futbol (soccer) on TV. I´m definitely not used to it here yet, but my bed is comfortable, the people are lovely, the food is fabulous, I can workout whenever I need, and I hope to soon adapt some pura vida attitude. In fact, I think I already have! I miss you famerly; happy happy happy happy birthday Noah and you will ace that driving test! Friends, I miss some of you ;). No phone here yet, but hopefully soon? I´m not too concerned; you all know I´m alive.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario